Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Best Part of My Day

So, the reunion was, as I expected, a huge success. I have so many stories to tell, and every time I think about the day I smile. The day was beautiful, the food was scrumptious, and my relatives are super cool. Indeed it was a sweet day.

Oh, and there are a gazillion pictures that I want to share, and hopefully soon I will have the energy to tell stories about all my kinfolk.

But, I don't know. Right now I just wanna talk about my daddy. I know I've told you this before, but gah! My dad is wonderful.

The picture I posted is of my daddy rinsing off my daughters muddy feet. And, I guess it's no big deal that he washed my Gracie girl's feet. Anyone would gladly do it. She is delightful. She giggled and he let her drink from the water hose. I've got some pics of the moment. He just did it with a smile.

No big deal, right? I mean, we all can imagine a good granddad doing that. It's what they do, and what they think is precious.

Here's the kicker.

Mommy's feet were nastier than little girl's feet. Mud was caked all over my preggo feet. Okay, and I have gross feet. I mean, when I was younger I had cute feet, but now - yikes! They are embarrassing. I didn't get to paint my toenails before we left. I keep my feet bare year long (well, almost all year). So, my heels are all cracked and my toes have a bit of hair on them. I mean, not much, but enough to make me self conscious.

Anyways, I ask my dad to keep the hose running so I could wash my dirty feet.

He washed my feet.

Okay, not just poured water on them, but he bent down and scrubbed the caked mud off of my heels and feet.

I continued to say, "no, really, Dad - my feet are gross! Stop! I'll do it!" He just kept on doing it as I stood there - apologizing for my filth.

He continued to say, "hush, Allison, it's just mud. Let me wash it off for you. It'll be easier if you let me do it for you."

I let him do it. My strong coal miner daddy washed my cracked and ugly feet.

I don't know what the point of this post is.

I'm just thankful, and I wanted someone to hear about my favorite part of the day.

11 comments:

Kim said...

That is very sweet. I loved it.

care-in said...

That is a wonderful picture (the story I mean but it is a great photo too!)

Griswell said...

Gah I love Uncle Steve. How Deep the Father's Love for Us...How vast beyond all measure. I know that song is about our Heavenly Father's love, but that is such a picture of His love for us. Even Jesus washed his disciples' feet. I bet they felt just like you did-thinking "oh gosh my feet are so dirty, don't touch them!" But He did anyway. Because He loved them, just like your Daddy loves you.

Daniel G said...

Emily said it better than I could have. What a wonderful image in words!

Anonymous said...

I was just about to log out but I thought I'd check out your blog - I'm glad I did : )

Girl, I'm about to cry! Love you!

Regina

Abbey said...

Oh so sweet!! Loved it.

Missy said...

Ahhhh! Love Daddy's!
And it took me a few minutes to figure out the picture. At first I thought it was some sort of weird torture device pedicure thing or something.
I don't know girl, I watched the Dark night last night and now everything is all weird to me!
But you are lovely and I love reading your blog:)

Melanie Evans said...

Oh Alli! So sweet...brought tears to my eyes! Hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Alli, what a sweet story. I love that your daddy washed your feet. Even though they were icky. What love. Just like you would wash your kids feet without a second thought, it's what parents do.

-- Brandi

Michele Williams said...

What a wonderful daddy. It's great that you can have such wonderful memories for a life time to come. Cheerish every moment you can.

Oh, I will introduce myself... I am Missy's aunt and Marsha's sister.

Michelle said...

I don't know how I missed this but that is so beautiful! What a good man!!!You are blessed.