Thursday, August 14, 2008

Blog Candy?

I've been thinking about this for a while, but I'm just not great at the blog candy thing. I'm scared that I'll forget to send it, or that the receiver won't like what I give. I just get nervous about that kindof stuff. I stink at mailing stuff. My dear friend, Emily, is fabulous at sending stuff. Not me. But, I'm gonna offer some candy. Because, well, I just don't think any of you will meet the requirements to receive it.

Eek. It sounds like I'm dissin' y'all, doesn't it? I'm really not, but the questions I got are doozies, and I'm not even sure if I know all the answers myself.

So, I've been thinking about Ma Shirley lately. That's Deaner's momma. She lived with us for a few months after Katrina before she went to be with her Creator. She was feisty and at times drove me bonkers. I miss her a great deal, and we still laugh about her ways quite often. Anytime Dean starts acting up - all I gotta do is say, "Now, what would Ma be sayin' right now?" And, the answer is always that she'd be agreein' with me.

Anyhow, she had the craziest quotes. And, she said them just to shock me. Which, really isn't that difficult to do. She loved to see my reaction, and it made her cackle when I'd try to quote her.

Like, she'd say "crazier than a poophouse rat." Ummm...but she wouldn't say poop or dookie or shoo shoo. She'd say the *ahem* other word.

Please know that she was from rural Louisiana. She was a hard worker. She made homemade biscuits and yeast rolls every day. Her coffee was as thick as syrup, and she survived many difficult seasons in her life.

So, I'm gonna give you a few quotes. I want you to tell me what they mean If you get them ALL correct, then I'll send you some candy. Deano will be the judge to determine if your answer is correct.

The following are the quotes you must define and explain origin:

1. "Drillin' fer the holler horn"
2. "I've just got the dropsies


Ack! I just forgot the other ones!

Okay, those will hafta do for now.

I've got more, but I need Dean here to help me remember how to phrase them correctly.

Emily - you aren't allowed to answer! You're on my list!

10 comments:

Virginia said...

Ok, I'm a major lurker, but seeing the dropsies on here made me have to post.

My grams says that one- and she's from rural MS., so it's definitely a southern thing.

When she says she's got the dropsies, that means that she is all worn out from the day and just has to sit down right then. :)

Anonymous said...

Scott's family if from Baton Rouge. Would I be cheating if I called them? His Memaw was about the funniest women I ever met. I loved all of her crazy cajun sayings. But you're right, some of the "cute" phrases aren't something I would want my babies repeating. I do miss her daily, though.

Sorry, though, I'm not good at cajun translations.

care-in said...

These are funny but I haven't got a clue what they mean. I'll have to take Virginia's word for the dropsies although that wasn't what I was going to say!

Griswell said...

Hey! that's not fair! I want some candy!

steve, kate, annelise and joseph said...

so i have no clue what either of those sayings mean or the history behind them and i will not even try and act like i do.
that being said, i hope that you are doing well over there, being pregnant and all :) we think of you and your sweet family often and miss you greatly!!
~k

Anonymous said...

Alli,

I say "I have got the dropsies" all the time. It means you cannot hold on to anything. For example--You are cooking a grilled cheese or some eggs and you absolutely cannot hold on to the spatula. You either keep dropping it, or knocking it off in the floor. I call it "butterfingers" also.
It is very pitiful that I have the "dropsies" on a regualr basis...

Missy said...

1. "Drillin' fer the holler horn"
this is what you do when you are constipated and you have to use an enima!

2. "I've just got the dropsies
This is what happens after the enima has taken effect!

Anonymous said...

Missy, you are crazy, I laughed out loud at those answers... Virginia you have one of them correct....

Dean

Virginia said...

Oooooh yay for my crazy Grams teaching me her southern sayings!

I died laughing at Missy's. I think I'm going to start using those phrases that way around here. Hehehe

Michelle said...

LOL...all of it.