Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Legend of Opalee Shirley - Part II

Pa Shirley was known for giving nicknames. I'm "little bit" (which is a fabulous nickname - if you've felt like a fatty patty your entire life!) Deano is "Bobie" (not bobby...say it like BoBee). His daughter, Thelma Irene, is "Penny." The eldest daughter, Dee, was nicknamed "Deedler." Oh, and the oldest son, Lee, was nicknamed "Bugs."

Bugs has gotta be one of my favorite nicknames that's been given. Deaner was tellin' the kids about Uncle Bugs a few months ago. He loved to hunt, and he stayed outside. Oh, and he made a wormery (I think that's what it's called!). So, the next time my cutie patootie son asks his daddy about his uncle that's with Jesus - he asks about Uncle Worm. I dunno. It just makes me smile.

Woo!

Anyway(s), this post is about Pa.

Not only was he known for giving quirky nicknames, but he was also given a few nicknames too.

One of my faves is Papa Noah. He was known for being great with animals. He wasn't afraid at all of them, and was patient (err - stubborn) enough to train any of 'em.

I am pretty sure that one of his favorite animals that he trained was Rojo. Rojo was a red rooster. I never met that bird, but I wish I could've seen Pa with that foul creature.

With much time, perseverance and scraps of bread he taught that rooster (from the time it was hatched) to fly up on his shoulder. Pa would walk outside, pat his shoulder and Rojo would zoom to his spot on his shoulders. I love it!

Another fine critter he enjoyed was a goat named Midget. Of course, I never met this animal, but I'm gonna say he was a brown dwarf goat. Now, I'm not sure how to tell you sophisticated readers the following information. I really am scratching my head on this one. So, I'm just gonna type it, and put it out there in cyberville for you to imagine. Pa would allow certain animals to roam in and out of the home and certain times of the day. Ma doodle didn't like this at all, but they didn't have doors that shut or locked. So, it was a no win battle for her.

Pa had a neighbor that was a redbone named Clyde. Some of you city folks might not know what a redbone is. Phooey, I don't even know what one is. Dean's family says redbones are Spanish Indians. Please, dear reader, don't laugh or roll your eyes at the good ol' redbones. Don't say that they don't exist. Oh, and don't think his family are racist. They really aren't! If they were, then they wouldn't allow Clyde to come eat biscuits and coffee with them every early morning!

Well, Pa loved Midget because EVERY time Clyde came over this goat would get scared and hide under the table. Then, he'd snort at Clyde.

Bobie says that Pa didn't train the wee little goat to snort at Clyde. BUT, I do know and can imagine Pa saying to the goat, "uh oh, Midget! Here comes Clyde! You better hide, little one! You better hide!" And, I think we all could agree that he had some teachable moments with that little kid goat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I'm so glad you told me you were writing on your blog - yesterdays about made me cry and today's makes me laugh. I can just see Midget.

Great writing! I want more!

Regina

Griswell said...

More more more more

steve, kate, annelise and joseph said...

you crack me up!
i miss you too! and i really do wish i was close by so that i could hang with you :(
i will call sometime soon...promise.
~katyh.