Tuesday, June 5, 2007



I remember holding my sweet son in my arms as a newborn baby. I don't remember if he loved to be held or if I just loved holding him. I think it was both. I remember singing to him, kissing his perfect cheeks, and I remember praying for him. I remember longing for the day to tell him about Jesus. "Let him know you soon, Lord." I've prayed it over and over again for both my kids. I know that a true relationship with my Lord and Savior will be the only thing that gives them hope and true peace in this rotten world. And, I've prayed for people to come into their lives to tell them this truth. Selfishly though, I have hoped that I could be there when the questions come.

Monday was a perfect example of this rotten world. I got caught up in myself. I fleshed out quite a bit. I was grumpy. I got anxious over a few things. I cried a bit over feeling inadequate.

Can I just say I hate days like that?

I fixed dinner, and was so overwhelmed with this frustration of my failures that I had to leave the kitchen without eating with my husband and kids.

I rushed to the master bedroom and shut the door. Somehow I ended up sitting in the shower. I thought about actually taking a shower. Usually that helps me shake off the tears, but this time I wanted to feel the tears on my face.

I struggled with my thoughts and prayed a great deal. I was determined not to leave that tiny bathroom until God showed up. Although, I did consider climbing out the window and leaving, but as I was about to make my escape I heard the kids outside the window. Back to the shower. I suppose He didn't want me to leave either. I just wanted Him to give me the grace to love on my kids for a few more hours - even though I didn't feel like it.

He did show up.

He gave me that peace that passes all understanding.

So, I went outside to watch the kids play for a few minutes. I told Dean-o that I was okay, and that he could go rest if he needed (he was up 'til the wee hours the night before).

It was almost bath time. Dean went to bed early.

Andrew was sitting on the floor. He looked up at me and asked my why Jesus had to die on the cross.

It wasn't eloquent like I imagined when he was a newborn in my arms. I fumbled quite a bit, and over explained myself more than I can express.

But, he listened. We actually talked about Salvation and the need for Christ's death for 45 minutes. It was both awkward and beautiful.

He didn't accept Christ as his personal Savior Monday, but I'm overjoyed y'all. I am actually about to boo hoo just thinking about it.

I will post more details of the conversation soon.

I just wanted to share an amazing story of God "showing up."

I really do have so much to tell about what He is doing in my life, but I'm just not the best at expressing these thoughts on paper or web.

Oh, and I also hate talking about Andrew and not my sweet Gracie girl. She is a gem, and I love that girl so much.

To me this post is just about how much God loves me, ya know?

He loves me so much, and I just don't get it, ya know?

14 comments:

steve, kate, annelise and joseph said...

its funny how children always have a way to ask such deep and thoughtful questions when we seem to be searching for answers too. although i do not have children of my own (yet)...it makes me smile just thinking about your little andrew (well not so little anymore) sitting there asking you the question and then intently hanging on to each word you say in response. praise God for such times as these :)
i hope your week only gets better. talk to you soon.

Michelle said...

Oh Alli. I am so sorry that the world is rotten. And I'm so glad for you that God showed up like that. Thank you for sharing. I think you did a great job expressing yourself. I love the way you talk/write.

Rebecca M. said...

I am so happy you had a chance to chat with Andrew...He is getting so big and I see you in his sweet face Alli. God can use us even in our inadequacies :) I hope you have a great week. I loved your post and hope to read one about your sweet girl soon.

Jeremy Conner said...

I'll be praying for Andrew's salvation...Mackenzie just accepted Christ a week or two ago, and we are so happy about it! It feels great to know that my daughter will be with me in eternity! It'll feel great for you guys too, and it sounds like Andrew is just about ready to take that step!

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

wow alli.. I am so thankful God uses us AND our inadequaces. He just wants an empty pot. I think your shower experience is a perfect of examply of God's grace, knowing that he was going to send your son to you with the most serious of questions, he was preparing you. He cared enough to pull you aside and get your attention so that you could be ready. At least thats what I see. who knows how you would have responded if you were still "fleshing out." And how neat for Andrew to see that his mommy needs Jesus too. Its good for them to see weakness, so that you can confess it and point them to the Cross. I will certainly be praying for your little man to come to terms with Jesus soon. Im sure you will be letting us know. Big Jorge and I have already agreed that when that day comes it will be the biggest fiesta, literally. The biggest party with all our neighbors and family and friends to celebrate like the angels do!
have a great day!

Graced said...

AHHHH

There is no blessing like the quickening of your child's heart for Christ.

Griswell said...

He is going to be an awesome man, Alli. I can see it already in the little things you tell me he has said or done and in the ways he interacts with you, Dean, and Gracie. You are seeing the buds of fruit from those prayers prayed over his little infant head!

Michelle said...

okay, I just remembered you used to live over here. And now I am so sad that we did not hang out all the time. You are so sweet and funny and so on...I sure did miss out.

Heather said...

I hate and love being a mommy. I would say that I lean a lot more towards the LOVE side. You are doing great!

Dollar General said...

I completely understand about talking about one child and not the other. Some days it's one that pulls the heart strings and sometimes it's the other. I'm so glad the Lord showed up - He has a sweet way of doing that!

Graced said...

But how long do we wait?!?

-C said...

So, WHATCHA WAITING FOR? Sheesh, it's time for a new post already. GoLLEE (in my most southern accent).

I've given you an excuse to post again ... not sure if it would be on your serious or silly so you can choose ... but the rules of tag are on my blog. You're it!

Leslie said...

Thanks for being so vulnerable, Alli. I hate days like that. Nothing seems to make me happy on those kinds of days. The shower is a good place to cry--I think we've all been there. Everything pisses you off, and nobody else does anything right . . . those days are so frustrating. It's so cool that you were open to having God show up. I think on my days like that, I run from God. Sure, He eventually chases me down, but it would be so much easier to just open right up to Him. Thanks for sharing such a frustrating day. How awesome that you waited Him out. He's so faithful, isn't He?

-C said...

um, I'm waiting. :)

I'm so funny.